Today’s unique Field Note is brought to you by Lucy Burr and Stephanie Stewart, both first-time volunteers from Essex and Farmington, Connecticut respectively. They are part of a mixed group of volunteers who have met for the first time here in South Dakota! Today, they reflect on what they've learned from their first few days with us here in La Plant.
It is night four and we nine volunteers agree:
- The dedication of the Simply Smiles founder and staff is amazing in its work ethic, cultural respect, resolve, patience, determination, kindness and inspiration.
- The work to be done in La Plant is hard, emotional, uplifting, and so much more.
- We came prepared to use our hands.
- We are surprised at the pain in our hearts.
- Our impatience urges us to give and do, which is faster than teaching.
- We are frustrated by OUR people’s political/administrative mistreatment.
- We enjoy celebrating this community’s dance contest winners at the annual powwow.
- The kids are eager to see the smiles greeting them at camp, ready to give them our full attention in a friendly place and spend a few hours on a summer day.